Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Designing in a vaccum...

Painting by Kelly Reemsten

(BTW I am in LOVE with this artist,you have to visit her website to see her other paintings, SOOOO GOOD!)

Do you ever feel like you are designing in a vacuum?  I feel like that all the time.  Whether it be my graphic design work or interiors, I often wish I had someone next to me to bounce ideas off of.  Someone to say things to you like "that is really terrible" or "that is a fantabulous idea! or "EUREKA you are a genius!".

I want a Tommy as in Tommy Smythe from Sarah's House HGTV fame.  Sarah Richardson is one of my new favorite designers.  I love her use of old and new, flea market finds along side high design.  I think one of the reasons her designs are so great is b/c she DOES have a sidekick to bounce the good bad and the ugly ideas off of.

Here are a few of their collaborations.



Love the wingback chairs


The pink is just enough in this living room...I loved this episode and Tommy was right!


Oh WHITE how I love you...


I WANT that teaset on the end of my bed:)





Far to often I am second guessing myself.  I think the best design is always a collaboration.  Whether it be with a client or someone in the biz, it really helps to have another point of view.  I think my best designs have been with collaboration and collaborators. It forces you to look at things from another perspective and it pushes me to be better than I was to begin with. 

So I think this is one of the reason's why I feel compelled to blog.  The good, bad, and the ugly.  I am putting myself out there to be complimented AND criticized...but it is only going to make me a better designer.  RIGHT???

In the morning,
G

No comments: