Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Hold onto your seats....

just a little tease...read more for the full reveal...
For Another chair(s) makeover.


I had theese done when I had my Happy Chair was redone...I call these my Princess Happy Chairs.  

I found not one but TWO of these jewels at an auction a few months ago for $25 apiece....I bought them to sell, and then.... as so often happens, I fell in love and had to keep them for myself.   There is somewhat of a princess feeling when I sit in them....and it gave much needed height to my living room.

These chairs in their former life....ho, hum, yawn....so sad. 


I had 2 yards of fabric that I  had been keeping for a while for just the right thing...I thought to myself...this might be it.   I wanted the chairs from the front to feel demure and soft, and fitting for my living room decor...but from the backside I wanted a bit of WOW!  And boy did I get it!  This is what you see when you walk into my house....

This updated damask has all of my colors in it, and sets the tone for the rest of the house....traditional with a twist...I have always wanted to use contrasting fabrics on my chairs...and this couldn't be more appropriate. 
Also, if I get tired of it it won't be a problem to replace....always thinking ahead!
 and this is what you see when you sit in the living room.

notice that I had them delete the tufting...
just because a chair is tufted before doesn't mean it has to be tufted after!

Oh, and did I mention that the front fabric is DROPCLOTH!!!!  Washed and bleached a few times to give it a softer hand. Trimmed with a chartreuse linen that I have had for a while. Since I didn't spend an arm and a leg on fabric, I won't feel as bad if something gets dropped on it......it is dropcloth after all RIGHT????? (at least that is the thought anyway!)  I am a huge fan of using drop cloths...notice the curtains...those are drop cloths too!  People almost fall OFF of their chairs when I tell them....I should just let them think I used linen...but this girl can't keep a secret...especially when it has to do with decor that doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.


Just in case you are disappointed that these chairs aren't for sale...No worries there will be more chairs for sale when The Collected Home gets in full swing the beginning of the New Year!  Great things to come....

I won't be posting until the New Year....so I guess I will See ya next year!

Linking up to a drop cloth party over at Cottage and Vine. Where you can see a ton more drop cloth love. 

12 comments:

René said...

Pardon me while I wipe the drool away from my keyboard...So glad you shared this Gretchen. This is great inspiration for, ahem, someone who is about to re-do her entire sun-room in drop cloth.

-Rene

Moments and Impressions said...

yep - I am going to have drop cloth curtains... the cloth has been waiting for Christmas sewing to become complete... thanks for the idea on bleaching and washing a few times to soften!

And those chairs... knock me over!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous makeover, Gretchen! The chair turned out beautifully! It's you who are the inspiration to us!

Happy New Year!

xo
Eddie + Jaithan

Meredith Jewell said...

LOVE the chair! And thanks for your comment, too! I always like to see what you're making next or refinishing or adding to your home.

quintessence said...

Wonderful makeover - such a wonderful surprise when you see the back!!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Wow! Now that is a fabulous chair! Love the fabric on the back, so fun mixed with the linen, I mean drop cloth. Beautiful job!
Londen

LiveLikeYou said...

LOVE your chairs Gretchen!! The colors are beautiful. My favorite color combination obsession of late aqua and red/orange. Look forward to seeing the rest of your house. Happy New Year!!

Restoration House said...

Wow, that is beautiful! Wonderful job!
Happy New Year!
Kim:)

Tracey said...

Love the chair! Glad to find you! Have a great day!

Dear Lillie said...

Wow, wow, wow! Absolutely gorgeous!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Very cool! I love the back, especially!

Paige @ Lucky Me Studios said...

I LOVE the chair and everything else about your blog. you had me with the green and white. all extremely well done, many pats on the back! Visiting from MMS...