Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A New Mommy luncheon AND a New recipe.

White roses, baby's breath, and polka dots...couldn't get more baby than that!


I have had a few friends become mothers in the past few months and wanted to do something special for them. I had not yet met the little ones, and thought it would be fun to Celebrate their births and the girls launch into mommy hood with a special luncheon. It just makes me so happy to see them with their little ones. I got my fill of baby hands and feet and hopefully it was a nice couple of hours for the new moms...it was so fun hearing them discuss all of the "new mommy" things....I felt so far removed...Do you know how many products have been invented since my last one was born 4 years ago????  There is something called the Nap Nanny, and they have special boogie wipes....although the old fashioned bulb thingy still does a great job!

I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it...from start to finish....I love setting the table and getting all of my fun stuff out. 

Here are the pics of the tablescape.  I used scraps of fabric and just ironed them under to make runners.  (pink AND blue).  A simple little flower arrangement of roses and baby's breath (of course.) And my collection of pink depression glass.  Oh, and I am such a dork I have to confess....there were only 4 moms but I had to set the table for 6 because 5 place settings didn't look right, 6 was symetrical and prettier:)


Mini quiches are easy to make, and I made a  couple different kinds....just in case of dietary constraints:)
One with spinach and mushrooms, and the other with aspragus, onion, and bacon.
TIP: Just saute the main ingredients and make the cream, milk, and cheese mixture separate....dispurse in the tins and then pour mixture over the top.



A small little gift on each place setting...
they are vintage napkins that I embroidered on my machine with the babies names and dates of birth



On the menu were mini quiches (2 different kinds) made in tart molds, a fresh salad, fruit salad, and cheesecake for dessert. Oh, and each of us had a mimosa....it was a celebration afterall:)  Simple and fun.

On to the cheesecake....now when my 21 year old brother stopped by later that afternoon and said "Gretchen, seriously WHAT is that cake you made, it is the bomb!, it is the perfect mix of citrus and cheese!" I knew I had to share the recipe.

Meyer Lemons really do live up to the hype!


Meyer Lemon Cheesecake

Crust

  • 1 1/2 cups graham crackers
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Filling

  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream 
  • 1 tablespoons meyer lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons fresh meyer lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping

  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh meyer lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Prep Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 2 hrs
  1. *If you can't get Meyer lemons, mix equal parts fresh orange and fresh lemon juice to approximate their sweet fragrance and flavor.
  2. Preheat oven to 325°; grease a 9-inch springform pan with 3-inch sides.
  3. Crust: in a bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and butter; press into bottom of cheesecake pan and freeze.
  4. Filling: in a large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar on med-high speed for 3 minutes.
  5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. 
  6. Add in sour cream
  7. Mix in zest, juice, and vanilla; pour over frozen crust.
  8. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is light brown and the center has a slight jiggle to it.
  9. Cool on the counter for 10 minutes (do not turn the oven off); the cake will sink slightly.
  10. Topping: in a small bowl, combine sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla; pour mixture into the center of cooled cake and spread out to edges.
  11.  Bake for 5 minutes more.
  12. Cool on rack for 2 hours; cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
I have to tell you it was DELISH!

11 comments:

mom said...

The napkins with the baby's name is such a nice (gretchen) touch ;-)

It all looks lovely and I'm sure it tasted wonderful!!

LOL

quintessence said...

What a lovely event - and so thoughtful! The table looks beautiful, love the little vintage napkin gifts and mini quiches and the cheesecake does indeed look like it is the bomb!

Anonymous said...

very lovely. i especially love the vintage napkins embroidered w/ names/dates.. very clever & sweet. :)

My Interior Life said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful luncheon. Those embroidered napkins are so special. And I'm going to have to try that Meyer Lemon Cheesecake. Yum!

Meredith Jewell said...

What a thoughtful gift to each new mom! How sweet of you...and I always love reading about and looking at your tablescape shots (decor, dishes, accents, etc.)...some of my favs of your blog posts, I must admit. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, what a lovely luncheon and celebration for your friends! The table is beautiful and the embroidered napkins, a darling touch! I am making a copy of the cheesecake recipe "tout sweet!"
Cathy

Christie McGregor said...

Everything looks beautiful. I know they must have loved the luncheon. I hope you saved some of the cheesecake! I could use a piece today.

Unknown said...

Gretchen - from the invitation, to the table setting, the champagne (yes, I spotted that), those quiches, that cheesecake, and the to-die-for embrodiered napkins....I'll be your friends will talking about this day for months to come.

Your kindess and generosity are so evident.
I wish I had a new baby!!! :)

xo Elizabeth

Allison said...

What a lovely luncheon. Your table is set beautifully and your food is gorgeous. Your embroidered napkins are such a special and thoughtful touch. I bet your friends felt very honored and spoiled. I have printed out your cheesecake recipe to make this weekend for some guests. It sounds and looks delicious. I love the comment your brother made!

pve design said...

"go" - (you are my go to gal, Gretchen)
Once upon a time I used to host luncheons just like this and now it seems everybody is working or these snow days are fooling with my luncheons....another snow day today.
How special your friends are and you to them...that is love....and that cheesecake looks amazing. Lemons are my favorite. You certainly are one gifted gal.
Pretty table.
pve

LiveLikeYou said...

YUM!! What a treat, and what a dreamy invite for your friends to get!