Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Silhouette Pillow....how to.

My Silhoutte Pillow

I have had this idea in my head for a while...and finally just decided to do get it done. With minimal sewing and cutting skills, even the most novice sewer can accomplish it.



Materials:
A pillow form
A piece of burlap
A piece of drop cloth (I have a lot of scraps from various projects)
Rick-rack (ribbon, or cording would work as well)
Colored Felt
Scissors
Needle
Thread
A printed out Silhouette of your choice aproximate size 5 X 7 (would keep it a fairly simple silhouette) 
(You can find them online, or if you have a good one of a family member it would be much more personal)


Step one
 
pin the silhouette to the felt


 Step 2
Cut out the silhouette


Don't worry I ironed the burlap after I snapped the pic:)
Step 3
Center the Silhouette on burlap (I used a temporary spray adhesive, but you can pin it as well.) 

sorry for the blurry pic, you can kind of see the image
Close up of what  the stitch should look like.
Step 5
Tack the silhouette down with a simple in and out stitch (I don't know the official term for this stitch)  But I just went in and out where the long stitch is on the other side of the fabric.


Step 6
Now just sew the pillow like you normally would.  I didn't take pictures of this process, but if you need to know how to sew a pillow, there are a TON of great tutorials online. 

There are so many ways you could customize this pillow...with ruffle trim, with a colored or geometric fabric on the back, with flange, etc, etc.

Happy Hump Day!

6 comments:

ALR said...

Great tutorial!

My Interior Life said...

Very cool, Gretchen! This would look adorable in Meg's room. Now, with my wonderful sewing skills (ha), I should give it a shot!

Thanks for the tutorial!!

Unknown said...

You are incredible!!!!! Great step by step instructions!

xo Elizabeth

quintessence said...

What an adorable idea!! I love silhouettes - never thought of this charming variation on the theme.

designchic said...

So pretty...love it, Gretchen!!

René said...

Gretchen, your pillow is adorable! I may have to copy you - and give you credit of course :)