Monday, February 6, 2012

Living Room Reveal


The day has come to reveal my living room design from the big install last week.  This has been a project I have been working on for about 2 months....so seeing it come together was so satisfying to this "get it done, and get it done NOW kind of girl!"  But it was well worth the wait.  When my client opened the door and said " SHUT UP, this is NOT my house!"  It was such an HGTV moment:)  I think I have had a permagrin on my face for a week:)


I was tasked with creating a plan that included the existing sofa, rug, and coffee table.  I swapped one chair in another room with the leather chair. This 1920's home had recently been renovated, so the walls had already been painted Sherwin Williams Sedate Gray....which casts green in this room.  They wanted a Cozy, Neo-Traditional room, with a collected feel and a sense of history.  So here is the end result.

The home has no "formal" foyer, so I created one by floating the sofa and having a sofa table as you first walk in the door.  Luckily the room was wide enough to make this happen.  I love a floating sofa!  The homeowner sent me a link to Mantadia Rug from Anthropologie for the dining room.. but it was crewel and would have been destroyed in 2 seconds flat...so not wanting to disappoint, this little bench was a surprise for her.  I ordered a 2X3 and had the bench covered.  Just the pop of color the room needed!

A view of the sitting area with the drapes.  I love how it creates a light and airy stripe..
without the boldness that a a true stripe sometimes has.  And of course the Allan Campbell Potalla Pillows.
Just another view.  You can see that the Bookcase picks up the same color in the pillow. 
And a view of the "Collected Wall".
Sometimes there is this thing I like to call Interior Serendipity.  I was out perusing the antique mall while I was sourcing for this room and came across the bookcase.  I ran to the car and grabbed my swatch of pillow fabric and was thrilled when I saw that it was a match to the small bit of seafoamy/aqua! YES!  I turned to my Invisible Tommy Smythe and said, "I think we'll take it:)"  Now, if I had brought this aqua bookcase into the room 2 weeks before the install, my client would have said...WHAT are you thinking?  Some things are better left for the final reveal.  But in the context of the room, it is just the point of interest that the room needed. N'est pas?

Isn't the artwork fantastic???  Tracey Jefferies is a talent.
One of the things the homeowners wanted was to integrate regional artists into the design.  I snapped up this piece when I was a Scott Antique Market from the artist Tracy Jefferies from Arcing Sky Gallery in Athens.  She shows at Scott Antique Market every month. The colors are perfect, and it is just on the edge of an abstract, and can be translated loosely into a landscape.  I love it!  Another artist used in the design was a local artist, Alicia Leeke.  I used two of her prints on the same collected wall. You must check out her work.  Beautiful colors.

Are you drooling over the mirror?  So awesome, right?
The husband grew up in Palm Beach and it is my little nod to his history. 
There you have it.  The finished product! Whew:) 

(the dining room is next...it is pretty much finished, I just haven't taken photos yet.)


6 comments:

Holly Gruszka said...

Gretchen, it is AWESOME! They must be thrilled! And way to go pulling that couch off the wall - I love it. Is the round black object on the lucite table an old basketball hoop? I saw one used in HB last year and thought it was awesome, and I love this object on the table too (kind of reminded me of it). And the Alan Campbell pillows are great - I was eyeing those up the other day in an Etsy shop. Job well done - I really enjoyed your reveal photos!

pve design said...

Gretchen,
Girl, you are sick. I love what you have done. Look at all that lovin up in that room! Cozy chic~
Hurry and take those photos of the dining room.
pve

Design Blooms said...

Great job Gretchen! Im sure you are having so much fun with this! The colors and textures work perfect and blend seamlessly!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Oh my goodess do I LOVE this room!! The rug on the bench was brillant and the room layout is perfect. I had to keep scrolling back up to see the before and full view. I am inspired to try a few gold frames in my living room...like right now. Thanks.

Londen

Peggy and Fritz said...

Love Love this room. You mixed the materials and elements so well. Love that there are classic pieces mixed with Lucite. The mirror had me this minute i scrolled down and while my mouth was hanging open I saw your comments about don't you love the mirror. AH YES! I'm in the process of fixing up our beach cottage that we rent everything is outdated and I'm looking for a mirror - this one would have been perfect. Great inspiration. Thanks so much.

SHERRY HART said...

Gorgeous!!! Gretchen, I love this room...she must still be grinning and thinking that this is not my room!!! Don't you love it!